Zoltán Németh works in position of regional and tectonic geologist in the SGIDS, having an active practice also as a principal investigator / researcher of other type of projects – namely the foreign funded projects on the basis of UNESCO/IUGS (IGCP 443), EC DG Growth (ERECON, MINATURA 2020), as well as LIFE+ (LIFE FOR KRUPINA, CO2 SEQUESTRATION), next has an experience with hydrogeological projects (regional hydrogeological mapping of the Cérová vrchovina and Poloniny Mts.), engineering-geological projects (registration of the slope deformations), as well as environmental projects (CO2 liquidation, remediation of the contaminated environment).
He is an author / co-author of more than 200 publications (of which several represent publications of the popularization type), and he also translated several publications of other authors into English. As a translator / proof-reader of English texts for the journal Mineralia Slovaca he works since 1995. Since 2006 he works in position of the scientific editor of this journal.
As a long-time member of the Slovak Geological Society (within 2005 – 2017 in position of Scientific Secretary / SGS Vice-Chairman) he was an organizer / co-organizer of several dozens of scientific events (congresses, conferences, scientific seminars, field seminars).
- 1982 – 1986: Study at the Mining Faculty of the Technical University in Košice – (Dipl. Eng., specialization Mining geology and geological survey)
- 1998 – 2001: Study at the Faculty of Natural Sciences of Comenius University in Bratislava (Ph.D., specialization Structural petrology)
- 1986 – 1992: Employee of the enterprise Geologický prieskum, š. p., Spišská Nová Ves, workplaces Rožňava and Košice
- 1992 – 1996: Employee of the company Geocomplex, a.s., Bratislava, workplace Košice
- 1996 until present: Employee of the SGIDS Bratislava, Regional centre Košice, in the position of Senior researcher
- 2006 – 2010: Head of SGIDS Regional centre Košice
- 2006 until present: Scientific editor of the journal Mineralia Slovaca
- 2008 until present: Member of the Approving Commission of SGIDS
- 2005 – 2013: Scientific Secretary of the Slovak Geological Society
- 2013 – 2017: Vice-chairman of the Slovak Geological Society
- 2014 – Member of the European Commission’s advisory body ERECON
- 2015 – Awarded by the Scientific Qualification Degree IIa
- MINATURA 2020 – Developing a concept for a European minerals deposit framework – EC project in the frame of HORIZON 2020 program (principal investigator)
- Geological-educational map of the Medzev-Jasov region (co-researcher)
- Identification, registration and engineering-geological mapping of slope failures (co-researcher)
- Hydrogeological survey of deficient areas in Slovak Republic (co-researcher)
- Development of technologies in the process of remediation of the contaminated environment (co-researcher)
- Potential sources of raw materials for the production of the high purity silicon (co-researcher)
Scope of Research
Regional geology and tectonics of the Western Carpathians, structural petrology, regional hydrogeological mapping, engineering-geological mapping (slope failures)
Principal investigator and co-researcher of geological tasks, scientific editor of geoscientific journal, APVV projects assessor
Slovak Geological Society
Association of Geologists of Slovakia
1994 – University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, U.S.A. – Geochronological laboratories of Prof. R. D. Dallmeyera
1998 – Karl-Franzens Universität Graz, Austria – textural goniometriy in laboratories of Prof. E. Wallbrecher
2008 – Hyperion Training Course, Brussels, Belgium – compiling and managing of projects within the 7th EU Framework Program
5 Most Important Publications
Németh, Z., Prochaska, W., Radvanec, M., Kováčik, M., Madarás, J., Koděra, P. & Hraško, Ľ., 2004: Magnesite and talc origin in the sequence of geodynamic events in Veporicum, Inner Western Carpathians, Slovakia. Acta Petrologica Sinica, 20 (4), 837-854.
Németh, Z., 2005: Paleopiezometry: Tool for determination of differential stresses for principal ductile shear zones of Gemericum, Western Carpathians. Slovak Geol. Mag., 11, 2-3, 185-193.
Németh, Z., Radvanec, M., Kobulský, J., Gazdačko, Ľ., Putiš, M. & Zákršmidová, B., 2012: Allochthonous position of the Meliaticum in the North-Gemeric zone (Inner Western Carpathians) as demonstrated by paleopiezometric data. Mineralia Slov., 44, 1, 57-64.
Németh, Z., Putiš, M. & Hraško, Ľ., 2016: The relation of metallogeny to geodynamic processes – the natural prerequisite for the origin of mineral deposits of public importance (MDoPI): The case study in the Western Carpathians, Slovakia. Mineralia Slov., 48, 119 – 134.
Radvanec, M., Németh, Z., Kráľ, J. & Pramuka, S., 2017: Variscan dismembered metaophiolite suite fragments of Paleo-Tethys in Gemeric unit, Western Carpathians. Mineralia Slov., 49, 1 -48.